Important things to note when linking your Aadhaar and PAN Cards
First, ensure your details on both these documents are identical (name, gender, date of birth) for the linking to be successful.
In case your name is different on both the documents; for instance, Document A has your initials, but Document B has your full name. Or Document A was made with your maiden name, but Document B has the name you chose after marriage.
The Income Tax Department has offered two ways to correct this problem.
- On 14 May 2017, the Income Tax Department launched an online facility for correcting errors on both PAN and Aadhaar Cards. All you have to do is click on the links mentioned below and follow the steps to rectify the errors.
- For correcting errors on PAN - https://www.onlineservices.nsdl.com/paam/endUserRegisterContact.html
- For correcting errors on Aadhaar Card - https://ssup.uidai.gov.in/web/guest/update
- Alternatively, you can link the two without changing your name on either document. This can be done by generating an OTP and uploading a scanned copy of your PAN Card on the IT Department’s filing website. HOWEVER, your date of birth must match on both documents.
How to link your PAN Card and Aadhaar Card?
There are two ways to link your PAN and Aadhaar Cards.
- Go to the Income Tax Department website (www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in). In the left pane, click on 'Link Aadhaar'
- An application form will open where you will have to fill out the following details:
- Aadhaar Number (12 Digits)
- Name as per Aadhaar (Avoid spelling errors here)
- Captcha Code
- Click on the 'Link Aadhaar' button
If your details (Name, DOB, and Gender) on Aadhaar card match your PAN details, the linking will be confirmed.
In case your DOB and Gender match, but Name is a partial match, you will get an OTP on the mobile number registered with your Aadhaar. After providing this OTP the linking will be confirmed.
For this method to work, the first step is to register yourself on the Income Tax e-Filing portal. If you’re already registered, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Log on to the Income Tax Department website (https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/)
- Once logged in, a window will pop up, prompting you to link your Aadhaar card and PAN card. If it doesn’t show up, click on 'Profile Settings' (present on the top bar) and click on the last link there - 'Link Aadhaar'
- Your registered details with the portal will already be mentioned. Fill up the rest in case any field is blank.
- Verify that these details match with the details on your Aadhaar card. Once verified, enter your Aadhaar card number, Captcha Code and click on the 'Link Aadhaar' button.
After the verification, a pop-up message will inform you that your Aadhaar card has been successfully linked to your PAN card.
Is the Linking Mandatory? What happens if you don’t link the two?
For taxpayers, the linking is a must. The latest bill passed by Lok Sabha makes the Aadhaar Card mandatory for filing IT returns, under the Finance Act 2017.
If an individual fails to provide Aadhaar Card details or proof of having applied for Aadhaar, income tax returns cannot be filed from July 1, 2017.
Also, failing to link your Aadhaar and PAN cards will result in the invalidation of your PAN Card. This means your PAN Card will not be considered as identity proof. Another glitch would be - without a valid PAN you would be unable to buy property worth more than Rs. 10 Lakh.
References : www.pancardseva.co.in